Monday, May 29, 2017

My New Favorite Second Job: Selling Paintings

Since mid-February of this year my organization Emerging Artists Initiative eaiinc.org has had a gallery in EDENS Mosaic District, Fairfax Va.  "The Tenth Muse" PopUp which ran from 3-17 March has now become Gallery 57 with a three month initial lease and the strong possibility of longer.

The benefits to myself and artists Richard McMurry, Matt Riegner and Cheryl Wilson, has been significant. I have sold six paintings altogether, three of which were mine. More paintings in seven weeks then as many years.
This occupation is much more engaging and diverting than my day job. I thoroughly enjoy selling art, especially if it's mine!

The gallery is based on an old model; buy paintings from the artists. We are open Wednesday to Sunday from noon to nine o'clock in the evening. (Monday and Tuesday by appointment) Artists sit the gallery in shifts, so on any given day,  a visitor will see outstanding paintings and have the opportunity to talk with one of the artists.  Couple this with a pedestrian friendly, frequently trafficked shopping district location and selling art becomes feasible.


No comments:

Post a Comment