Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Open Studio Party

Had my first "open studio" in more than ten years a week ago on July 25th. The turn-out among my friends and supporters was fabulous: no kudos for the gallery curators I invited. Didn't really expect the Leeum Museum to show (Samsung's Museum of Art) nor Amore Pacific (another large corporate collector whose curator recently arrived from the same position with the Leeum) but I did expect the BK Gallery (not a block away from the studio) to attend or at least do a drive-by peek*.

The highlight of the event was raffling off an earlier work I painted in 2011 titled On The Beach a cityscape of Busan's famous Haeundae Beach. I  plan on raffling art at every future open studio.

The studio exhibit, however,  made it clear that my shameless self-promotion needs to escalate. I have decided on raising funds through Kickstarter and Indiegogo for a week's lease at a highly visible space in Insadong: Young Art Gallery. I am going to name the project Unknown Legend, and while the title packs enormous audacity with a healthy dollop of hubris, it fits my shameless self-promotion direction to a tee!



















* BK Gallery claims to host international as well as local artists, and while this may sound bitchy, the last couple of artist's works they've shown have been much closer to mediocre than interesting and several steps away from provocative or ground-breaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment