Friday, July 17, 2015

Orvis Residency: Day Seven (17 July)

East Wall 11:00
Took today off from my "day job" so I could complete the framework that will support the panels. This weekend is an important day for the museum: Sunday is the Bank of Hawaii sponsored Family Day. Free admission; I want the substrate to be in place so that visitors brave enough to venture into "my studio" can be given something constructive to do!

North Wall 13:30
I guess there is some amount of confusion about the Orvis Residency. Some of my friends and family seem to think it is "a show" going on for 6 weeks. It is that, but not in the usual sense. The Orvis Residency provides me with a a studio space which is also my gallery for six weeks. During that period, I have to complete a work utilizing the rather immense space (former tennis courts) and display the finished art. To top it off, the production itself needs to involve visitors.

My goal is to complete the piece with two weeks to spare so I can observe the observers interaction with what is arguably controversial and poignant.

In short, there is a whole lot of engaging going on on  a number of levels. Tomorrow's objective though is to have the luan substrate mounted to the framework so that the really fun techniques can begin.

Pip Pip!

Finished 15:50

No comments:

Post a Comment