Monday, July 13, 2015

Orvis Residency: Day Two (12 July)

Weather was cooperative today: finished the base texture and applied the background pigment to all ten panels. So happy when the weather forecasts stick to the trend, in other words wrong.

A heartfelt thanks to my wife Sonny for all her help: I couldn't have accomplished this key phase of the project without her assistance. She understands how I build my art and braved two of the stickiest days of the year with highs in the low 90's and no trade winds to give me a crucial hand in moving to the next phase - installation.

Installing the panels on the Surface Gallery walls  will occupy most of the next weekend. So if there is anyone out there reading this and feel comfortable with a hammer drill and a screw-gun "come on down!"

All ten pieces have to be anchored to as a "continuous strip"  that takes a corner from the north to east wall. I know that at close range, the panels will be discernible, but my intent is that the base substrate appears a seamless strip when viewed from between 4-6" and absolutely uniform from 10-12'. This means some very careful abutting and hanging; loads of fun.  Can't wait to figure this one out!




No comments:

Post a Comment